Mr. Darcy's Diary


Title and Author: Mr. Darcy's Diary, Amanda Grange
Type: P&P Parallel (true to the original plot, told from a different perspective)
Perspective: Darcy
Romance Level: Austen-esque
Recommend: Yes, 3.5 stars

This book is true to the orginal P&P storyline, but is told from Darcy's perspective. It does start before Darcy meets Elizabeth, but still covers events well known from the story.  The main parts of their story are covered, meeting in Hertfordshire, time at Netherfield, time at Rosings/Hunsford, at Pemberley and then back in Hertfordshire. It also extends several months into their marriage. I enjoyed this book, but not as much as some other Darcy retellings.

Things I liked:
* The diary format gave us Darcy's inner thoughts about the people in the novel. I did enjoy seeing how he is drawn to Elizabeth because she is unlike the other ladies of his acquaintance.
* I enjoyed getting to know some of the lesser characters more (especailly Colonel Fitzwilliam). You are also see much more of how low Wickham actually is in this version.
* I enjoyed the scenes of their life at Pemberley (without too much detail of intimacy)

Things I didn't like:
* The format of the diary made it a little choppy.
* I didn't get to know Darcy as much as I wanted to in this one. I understand why he is proud and aloof, but I don't entirely understand his change to wanting to marry Elizabeth.
* It struck me as strange that Darcy doesn't talk about anything much but Elizabeth after he meets her. It is supposed to be a diary of his whole life. Where is Pemberley? The Napoleonic Wars?

An overall enjoyable read!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Only Mr Darcy Will Do

The Challenge of Entail

The Other Bennet Sister